Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Anyone Remember Post-Metal?

















Amen Ra - Mass IIII

This album came out a while ago so this review will be brief.

The reason I wanted to post something about this record has to do with my annoyance with the genre known as post-metal. Bands like Isis, Pelican, and Cult of Luna all put out some absolutely stunning albums early in their careers, but as post-metal continues to grow into a legitimate genre, with numerous bands offering up slabs of pretentiously artful doom, the music has become stagnant. The major players of the genre are still pumping out decent work, but I feel like no new ground is being tread. Enter Amen Ra. Hailing from Belgium, this band are the new darlings of post-metal.

Mass IIII is a dark and corrosive beast. All of the fundamental aspects of the post-metal sound are here, but Amen Ra have thrown them in a meat grinder and spit out a vitriolic combination of early screamo, hardcore, and Through Silver in Blood era Neurosis. The guitars are sharp and build to massive peaks of distorted dissonance, and the drums keep the guitars in check with simple yet effective tribal rhythms.

I haven't cared about the post-metal movement for a while, but Mass IIII has reignited my interest. If you like this style then there is no reason not to get a copy of this amazing record. I know I'm gushing, but it's better then ranting about Pelican's shitty new album, right?

xoxo
Beardo

8 comments:

  1. I haven't listened or cared for post metal in a while either. I saw pelican in seattle a few months ago cause they were playing with sunn0)), and it bored me out of my mind. I honestly can't even listen to the classics like isis or cult of luna anymore cause it's so boring. quiet -> heavy, i get it.

    I guess i'll give it a try...

    http://www.mediafire.com/?4mzmtdkmzk0

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you will find this refreshingly different than the typical post-metal bullshit. I was really suprised how much I liked this release.

    It's got a really distinct sound that sounds like Isis meets Saetia or Pg. 99.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The black background hurts my eyes!

    Haha, suck on that comment, nerdo. I know you were excited to get a new comment, but it's just from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How would one define post-metal? Because I have no idea what you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Post-metal is a music genre, a mixture between the genres of post-rock and heavy metal. It is broadly characterized by distorted guitar, heavy atmospherics, gradual evolution of song structure, and a minimal emphasis on vocals."

    I listened to the album. I like the music, but the vocals bug me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I figured you'd love the vocals because they sound exactly like you when you scream.

    BURN!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I figured you would love jimmy buffet for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete